Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Applesauce for the Road

I love going to the apple orchard. It brings back lots of memories as a kid.  My mom would always take us and we would eat and eat and eat apples until we were sick. We probably ate as many as we contributed to the bucket. 

One year we went with our cousins.  If I remember right, my Mom and Aunt were both pretty pregnant.  We were driving home in those boxy mini-vans and hit a red light.  We were getting ready to get on the highway at a VERY busy intersection.  My mom stepped on the gas and the back door flew open! All those bags of apples flew out and apples went rolling everywhere!  So there we were, lots of kids and two pregnant women frantically picking up apples. We successfully held up traffic for as far as I could see.  Some people stopped to help us, but others drove through, squashing our precious apples! NOT OUR JONATHAN'S! There was lots of applesauce left in the road that day.

Applesauce... my favorite part!  When we got home, we would all help peel, boil and grind, until we had heaps of applesauce. 

Last year I think I made about 20, quart freezer bags and Justin and I had them with every meal.  They were gone way too fast.  This year I'm going to try to control myself! Portions... 

Here's a few pics of the orchard we picked at yesterday.  I think apple orchards are so beautiful!







I'm so excited to make applesauce!  Hopefully today!  I have a yummy applesauce muffin recipe I'm excited to share with you too...it's one of my favorites.  I think it might be my comfort food.

Thanks for stopping by.  Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment